Thursday, January 29, 2009
Compared to Alex Goh's previous Bread Book, this new book, Alex Goh's Baking Code using sponge dough method gives a more softer, lighter and fluffier bread..like store bought.
Overnight Sponge Dough
200g bread flour
1/2 tsp instant yeast
Combine 1/2 the water to the yeast, blend well. Add all ingredients together and knead (10 minutes) to form a dough. Let it rise for 30 minutes. Wrap in a cling wrap and keep in the refrigerator overnight or up to 48 hours.
Note: 1. Prepare sponge dough 1 day in advance.
2. Dough will continue to rise very slowly although placed in the fridge. If it gets too big just knock it down.
385g bread flour
165g wholemeal flour
35g brown sugar
10g instant yeast
120g overnight sponge dough
350g cold water
1/2 tbsp honey
1. Mix ingredients A until well-blended. Add in ingredients B and C, mix to form a dough (wet sticky dough).
2. Add in ingredients D, knead to form a smooth and elastic dough. ( Initial stage, mixture will be very wet and sticky. It will start to form into a dough after 10 minutes. Continue kneading another 10 minutes and you will get a soft, smooth and elastic dough.)
3. Cover and let it rise for 45 minutes.
4. Divide into 2 equal parts, mould it round and let it rest for 10 minutes.
5. Flatten the dough, roll it up like a swissroll. Place it in a greased 20x11.5x11.5cm loaf tin. Makes 2 loafs.
6. Allow it to proof for 60 minutes or until you get a dome above the rim of loaf tin.
7. Bake at 210 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove immediately from the tin after baking.
Note: 1.Spray dough with water or eggwash before baking. 2.Bake on the lowest shelf of your oven as dough is very high. 3. Throw in aluminium foil over the bread if it gets to darken before baking time is over.)