Sunday, July 26, 2009
OREO ICE CREAM CAKE
Oreo Ice Cream Cake
(makes one 18cm cake)
110g oreo cookies (finely crumbled)
40g butter, melted and cool
about 1 tub of ice cream (1.5 ltr)
1 cup Nestle pouring cream (or heavy cream)(I used non-dairy whipping cream)
150g dark chocolate, finely chopped
1. Line the sides of a loose bottom pan with plastic sheets. Set aside.
2. Place oreo crumbs and melted butter in a bowl. Mix thoroughly with a spoon until the crumbs are moistened. Press the crumbs evenly into the base of the prepared pan. Use the back of the spoon, smooth out the crumbs and press firmly. Freeze the base for at least 1 hour.
3. Soften the ice cream at room temperature. When the ice cream is soft enough, place it in a mixing bowl. With a spoon or spatula, stir the ice cream until it is spreadable. Spoon the ice cream over the oreo base, ensure all gaps are filled. Depending on the depth of the pan, fill it with enough ice cream till it reaches about half to one inche before the rim. Cover with a cling wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours.
4. When the ice cream layer is set, prepare the chocolate ganache. Place cream and finely chopped dark chocolates in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Stir till the chocolate melts complete. Leave to cool off.
5. This step has to be done as quickly as possible. Spread the chocolate ganache over the ice cream layer.
6. Cover with cling wrap and freeze for at least another 6 hours before unmolding.
7. When ready to unmold, dampen a kitchen towel with hot water and wrap it around the pan and hold it there for about 10 seconds. Remove the towel and unmold.
8. After unmolding the cake, return it back into the freezer to firm up before serving.
9. Decorate as desired.